Monday, January 17, 2011

My Experiment with Truth

pic courtesy: www.indiamart.com


My Experiment with Truth
- Thara Tau


They told me, “You are too thin. Put on more weight.”
She told me, “Thara, you don’t look healthy at all. Take care of your diet please.”
He told me, “You have to take more food. Gain some weight.”


And I decided one conspicuous day to make some drastic changes in my lifestyle. I stopped abruptly my regular morning exercise from the next morning; got up a bit later than usual, by about an hour, because I realized of late that my morning exercise, though not significant in proportion, was one culprit of my Auschwitz survivor-like figure, and a longer duration of sleep would augment well with ‘my tryst with destiny’ (read weight gain). You may claim, just a bedroom floor exercise won’t cost you a kilo, but burning carbs is losing carbs invariably, I strongly believe.

And I also decided to take on more oily foods to supplement my body requirement of “fats” to gain more weight; to sport a new sexy-looking chubby cheeks and double chin. I started initially with outdoor foods; the fried rice, the kebabs, the tandoori chicken, the Gujarati thali, and even at home it became a strict no no to boiled dal and steamed karela. Everything has to have at least a splinter of oil or fats in it. I started ordering for more milk, smeared more butter on bread and put aside the jar of pear jam.

To make the most of my initiative and as a sign of commitment to it I went to the bazaar and bought a trouser with two extra inches from my regular 30-inch waistline trousers. I was determined that it’s going to be 32 in the coming month(s) and will proceed on till 34 when I would only start pulling the brake.

Everything was working fine for some days and it gave me extra confidence to carry forward. A week passed by, I could start feeling a fatty deposit in my tummy. It’s a wow wow!! I told myself, “Your dedication pays off buddy!” Another week set in and I was expecting a better result. Instead, I started realizing that my bowel movement was not ‘up to the mark’. It was irregular and uneven. One fine day I started feeling really uneasy in office. My stomach was just not ok. I went home earlier than usual complaining of my stomach to my boss. When I reached home I already had a high fever as well. I rushed to loo directly and released all the stupid stuff that had hindered my day. Then, I fell down on my bed with excruciating pain on my head and stomach. Two hours later, I was admitted to Seventh Day Adventist Hospital where some Mizo friends were working. I would not have got a bed had not the Mizos there painstakingly requested the administration because it was a flu season and hospital beds were just out of bound that time of the year.

After taking these and those tests, which medical terms I could not remember, in and out of bed for two days they told me it’s acute enteritis. “It’s an inflammation of the intestine” they defined for me. It made me back to square one losing kilos in the process. And I realized once again that it’s best to accept the truth about myself, whatever I was, and that’s another way of doing justice to self.


*

3 comments:

Jona said...

You are lucky you are 'built' to be thin/slim, I've been trying hard to lose weight :)

If being slim/thin does not affect your health, then I think it's okay to be thin. I know a lot of guys who are perfectly healthy yet do not gain weight (visibly) at all.

Anonymous said...

Its been more than 4 years since I wore size 30 pants. Now I struggle into a freshly-washed size 34 jeans. You're lucky you don't have to try to lose weight.
But burning calories may not necessarily be bad, once you start working out, your appetite increases considerably. (Come to think of it, I guess that how I gained weight in the first place, I stopped working out regularly some 4 years back... hmm..) Cos' once you stop a regular exercise regime, you're still left with the appetite. :P So my advice (even tho' you didn't ask for it): stay slim, but stay healthy.

Tharax said...

@Jona, i used to take it another way but now will feel proud of being thin/slim..hehe. My attempt to gain more weight failed miserably so have to think twice now if ever to try again :)

@blackestred, u r so lucky to achive what i cant.. size 34 jeans!! but now let me just try to stay fit without bothering much about putting on weight.. hehe!!