Thursday, March 08, 2012

My First Book – A Hawlphum

After struggling for about two years my debut collection hit the stand in December 2011. As I’ve mentioned in the preface of the book, the contents are purely work of fiction but, let me say once again, almost all of them are based on true incidents. The releasing function held at Bangalore on 29th December 2011 was not a grand one by any sort of definition but unique in its own way as I’ve always dreamt of. I was adamant that as the book was basically meant for the youth most important roles in the function should be partaken by the youth. The host of the programme was my good friend Ms. Blessy Sailo whose tremendous potential was unleashed that very night. Book preview was done by Mr. Fela of KLE College who declared the book superlatively as “ram hnuk khawih thil”. And, the book was released by none other than the President of Mizo Students’ Association Bangalore Mr. Ramsanga. As a beneficiary of their optimum favours and dedications I would like to declare how much I owed them for their deeds - a hundred standing ovations indeed.

Beyond my expectation the book has been received exceptionally well by Mizo youth in the metros. The copies we dispatched to cities like Hyderabad, Mumbai and Delhi were sold out within no time among our communities – like after Mizo Service in Sunday afternoon. The sales result in Mizoram and Manipur were awe-inspiring. The Synod Bookroom, the largest chain of bookstores in Mizoram, has recently informed my cousin that it’s the topmost bestselling book these days and ordered 200 copies more though we’ve supplied them 300 copies in the middle of January 2012 only.

The most scintillating book review I’ve seen in Mizo language came out at misual.com, the most frequented Mizo site, on January 16 – A Hawlphum by Thara Tlau. The reviewer, Ms. Aduhi Chawngthu, to whose ardent fans of her blog I belong, flexed out nitty-gritty the journey the book took you along. I don’t hesitate to put her style as in par with that of The Washington Post’s book reviews.

Let me share here, to your delight, some of the comments I stole from various groups in facebook pertaining to the book –

Angely Sailo: I hardly read and have hardly read any book whatsoever by any Mizo author,with due respect,as I have no patience nor the inclination to understand the intricacies of the language (although I do speak the language):-D..however,I must say that I have no regret in picking up this particular book and finishing it in 2 hours flat..which is an achievement for me too..hehehehe..it was so so so very refreshing and you can almost feel yourself being transported into each of those stories in the book..and the most important part is that the stories are thought provoking too..even after I put the book down I found myself thinking "I hope there's going to be a sequel to this book"...can't wait for the next one to come..Thara Tlau...excellent story teller and a fitting tribute to your Mom..you have made her proud..:-D..can't wait for your next one..

Sam Haizâng (Scientist): A sawi ngaihnawm thiam si, tunlai thangthar tawng kau chheh zul zuia thu ziah, Thara Tlau lehkhabu ziah 'A Hawlphum' pocket size phek 90 nei Dr. Martin Chhangte hnen atanga ka lei chu ka inchhir lo hle mai.

Prof. Lalrinawmi Ralte: Thara Tlau lehkhabu A Hawlphum chu a ngaihnawm hle mai. Ka lei hmasa ber a, ka chhiar chhuak nghal a, a ngaihnawmin a zirtir a ropui ka ti. Ngaihtuahna hmang tak leh awmze nei taka ziak leh duan chhuah anih a chiang hle. Thara, lehkhabu ziak lam i timi em mai, chhunzawm zel rawh khai!

Rev. Lalhum Rawsea: A Hawlphum zet chu thu leh hla lama Zofate 'ro thar' a tling ngei dawn e.

Rev. Lalthlamuana Hnialum: Lehkhabu tha, zirtir ngah tak a ni. Mizo thalaite tan chhiar ngei ngei chi a ni e.... highly recommended.

And my good friend Dr. Martin commented, “The simple day-to-day tone and language used by Thara make the instances very familiar and relatable.”


Just yesterday, the book was declared one among the Top 20 list produced by Mizo Academy of Letters in the selection process for “Book of The Year” 2011. I am wholesomely indebted to all the readers and the plentiful support I’ve received from friends and well-wishers. It’s because of you that this humble work of mine could fetch such an applause after all. Thank you all.

9 comments:

Lalengzuala said...

Book of the Year Top 20-a i lang hi ka lawmpui tak zet che.

Tharax said...

Ka lawm e. Rin aiin a lo thleng thui ve a, mi te hriat vak pawha ka rin loh kha..

Jona said...

Lehkhabu sualchhuah hi a hautak ka ring, hralh nuam tak khawrpum phei chu thil ropui takah ka ngai. Ka lawmpui takzet a che.

#Chhiar ka chak tawh hle mai!

Tharax said...

Rin aiin han tih tak2 chuan a lo hautak a. Hun leh tha, rilru leh ngaihtuahna a ei hnem duh khawp mai.

I la chhiar ve thuai turah ngai ang.. hehe!!

Alejendro said...

A hawlhphum kha maw? Haha

Congrats for the Top 20 thingie... and a ngaihnawm khawp mai.. :-)

Tharax said...

thianpa.. ka lawm e!! nang teh meuhin ngaihnawm i tih chuan ngaih a ti tha zual sauh alawm le ;)

VaiVa said...

Ka duh ve nia a copy... ka la chhiar ve lo.

Hriatpuia Pa said...

Ka la chhiar ve lova, MAL in top 20 a an dah chuan a chhe lo tih a hriat mai e.

Tharax said...

@vaiva: mumbai ah cuam rama (bee-a) kha lo contact mai rwh.. kawl cu a nei twh lo a mahse ama copy kha i lo dil mai dwn nia.. lolz!!

@zaia: keini kutchhuak tehlul an han thlang ve chu hlu deuh asin.. hehe!! ka lwm e..